Australian Citizenship Requirements
Being a permanent resident of Australia, you would have already enjoyed living in a liberated and democratic society. When you become an Australian citizen, you can live and work in Australia freely. A valuable part of becoming an Australian citizen is the understanding and commitment to the values of the country and its people.
How to Become an Australian Citizen?
To become an Australian citizen, you must lodge a completed application form and pay the applicable fee to DOHA. Once you have submitted your application, you will be contacted by the department.
If your application is successful, you will be invited to participate in an Australian citizenship ceremony, which comprises of the Australian Citizenship Pledge.
There are 3 ways to become an Australian citizen:
- By birth: If you are born here and one or both of your parents is an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
- By descent: If you are the child of an Australian citizen but you are born overseas, you will generally be granted Australian citizenship.
- By grant: If you are a non-citizen of Australia you can apply to become an Australian citizen.
There are certain Australian citizenship requirements you must meet, which include:
- You are an Australian permanent resident
- You are over 16 years of age
- You have lived in Australia for a period of four years, including 12 months as a permanent resident
- Are of good character
- Have an adequate knowledge of your responsibilities and privileges as a citizen
As an Australian citizen you have a number of privileges, which include:
- Voting in Federal and State or territory elections and in a referendum
- Applying for work in the Australian Public Service or in the Australian Defence Force
- Seeking election to parliament
- Applying for an Australian passport and re-entering Australia freely
- Obtaining help from an Australian official while overseas
- Registering children born overseas as Australian citizens by descent
All applicants will need to complete and pass a citizenship test, which is based on their knowledge and understanding of Australian society, values and history. The test will also assess the applicant’s English language abilities, have a sufficient knowledge of the responsibilities and privileges of being an Australian citizen and intend to reside and work in Australia, or to preserve a close connection with the country.
This Is Australia has extensive knowledge in the Australian citizenship requirements through many successful applications. We can assist you through the complexities of the Australian immigration process. To speak to one of our qualified migration agents, contact us via our online contact form or call our Queensland office on (07) 5592 0755.