Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Visa (Subclass 400)

Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Visa (Subclass 400)

Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Visa

This visa is a temporary visa that lets the visa holder enter Australia to:

  • do short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work; and
  • participate in an event or events on a non-ongoing basis at the invitation of an Australian organisation; and/or
  • in limited circumstances, participate in an activity or work relating to Australia’s interests.

The visa holder can stay in Australia for up to three months where required (and in limited or exceptional circumstances, up to six months). Please note that we have been successful in obtaining many 6-month Subclass 400 visas for our corporate clients – however, we must point out that if the visa is granted, it will be at the discretion of the assessing officer if the officer will grant the visa for the standard 3-month period or the requested 6-month period. Important – please note that a subsequent Subclass 400 cannot be made while the visa holder/applicant is onshore (i.e. in Australia) and a Subclass 400 cannot be granted if it is proposed for the visa applicant to be in Australia on a Subclass 400 for more than 6-months in the last 12-months period.

Requirement for Highly Specialised Work

This visa can be applied for to do short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work in Australia if the applicant has specialised skills, knowledge or experience that both:

  • can assist Australian business; and
  • cannot reasonably be found in the Australian labour market.

Non-ongoing work means work that is likely to be completed within 6 months or less, and the visa holder does not expect or arrange to stay in Australia after this time for any reason related to that work.

Highly specialised work is usually work that either:

  • is done by people with an occupation listed in Major Groups 1, 2 or 3 (i.e. Professional or Trade based Occupations) of the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO); or
  • needs skills and knowledge that are specific to an international company, such as installing imported equipment, after-sales service or emergency repairs.

You can apply for a subclass 400 to:

  • direct, produce or have any other role in a production that will not be shown in Australia (you will need to provide a distribution contract or other evidence to support this); and
  • come to Australia for a promotional activity, for example:
    • an actor visiting Australia for a red-carpet premiere; and
    • a rock band in Australia for a promotional tour but no performances.
Call +61 (0)7 5592 0755
Or book an appointment with one of our registered migration agents.

Protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy and Terms.

This Is Australia can determine your eligibility for a work visa and provide you professional advice on the documentation, fees and submission process. Begin your pathway to permanent residency by contacting our migration agents via our booking form or call our Queensland office on (07) 5592 0755.

Are you a skilled professional who wants to live and work in Australia?