Training and Research Visa (Subclass 402)
The Training and Research (subclass 402) Visa is a temporary work visa for people who want to come to Australia to participate in occupational training, observe or participate in research as a visiting academic, or participate in a professional development program.
Employers seeking to sponsor or hire foreign workers can sign up for our Corporate Visa Services.
The Training and Research Visa has three streams:
- Occupational Trainee Stream:For people who need structured workplace-based training to enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of tertiary study, or field of expertise.
- Professional Development Stream:For professionals, managers or government officials invited to participate in a professional development training program in Australia. The program must have been arranged by an employer outside Australia and usually lasts up to 18 months.
- Research Stream:For professional academics invited to visit Australia to observe or participate in an Australian research project at an Australian tertiary or research institution.
You may be eligible to be granted this visa if you:
- Are sponsored by one of the following:
- A training and research sponsor who has lodged their sponsorship application or had it approved.
- An approved professional development sponsor.
- An approved visiting academic sponsor or occupational trainee sponsor (for sponsorship applications lodged before 24 November 2012).
- Meet the visa requirements of the stream in which you are applying;
- Have a genuine intention to stay temporarily in Australia;
- Have adequate financial support for yourself and accompanying family members while in Australia
- Have adequate arrangements for health insurance while in Australia.
- Meet health and character requirements;
- Are at least 18 years of age (except in limited circumstances).
This work visa is ideal for those who cannot meet the requirements of other employer sponsored visas, though still wish to gain experience with the employer.
Entitlements of the Training and Research Visa (Subclass 402)
Successful applicants and holders of a Training and Research Post Study Work Visa (Subclass 402 are granted temporary visa for up to two years. This will allow you and your eligible family members to:
- Enter Australia at any time after your visa is granted, if you are outside Australia at the time of visa grant;
- Stay in Australia for the nominated duration of the training, research position or program;
- So the training or activity specified in your visa application;
- Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want until you have finished participating in the program or your visa expires, whichever occurs first.
If you hold this visa under the Occupational Trainee or Research streams, you may also bring your family with you. Your family:
- Might not be able to be in Australia without you:
- they might need to enter Australia with you or after you
- they might need to leave Australia with you or before you
- Must intend to remain members of your family unit.
Family members in the Occupational Trainee stream can only work for up to 40 hours a fortnight. Family members in the Research stream might have unrestricted work rights.
Our visa services include both temporary and permanent visas. Contact us via our online form or call This Is Australia’s Queensland office today on (07) 5592 0755, to begin your visa application process.