SkillSelect – Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190)
The Skilled Nominated Visa is a permanent residence visa for skilled workers who want to work and live in Australia after being nominated by a State or Territory Government agency. This visa is an alternative for skilled workers who have the qualifications or skills, but may not pass the points test required to obtain a Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189).
Approved applicants are expected to live, work and study in the nominating state or territory for 2 years on arrival.
Employers seeking to sponsor or hire foreign workers can visit our Australian Employer Services page.
Requirements of the SkillSelect – Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190)
Applicants for this visa first need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) online in order to be invited to apply.
Once you have been invited to apply, you must be able to satisfy the basic visa requirements to qualify for a visa in the General Skilled Migration program.
- Have nominated a skilled occupation that is eligible for this subclass of visa (see eligible occupations);
- Have obtained a suitable skills assessment in the nominated skilled occupation;
- Be at least 18 years of age and younger than 45 years of age;
- Have at least competent English language ability;
- Be nominated by a State or Territory Government agency;
- Meet the points test pass mark of at least 65 points;
- Meet certain health and character requirements.
Applicants are assessed against the point’s test in which points can be claimed in the following areas:
- English language ability
- Australian and overseas skilled work experience
- Australian & International qualifications
- Australian study requirements
- Specialist qualifications.
- Credentialed community language qualifications
- Regional Australian study
- Spouse skill qualifications
- Professional year in Australia
- State or Territory Nomination
|Skilled employment in the last 10 years – outside Australia||Points|
|Less than 3 years||0|
|Skilled employment in the last 10 years – in Australia||Points|
|Less than 1 year||0|
|A Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution or a Doctorate from another educational institution that is of a recognised standard.||20|
|A Bachelor degree from an Australian educational institution or a Bachelor qualification, from another educational institution that is of a recognised standard.||15|
|A diploma or trade qualification completed in Australia||10|
|An award or qualification recognised by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation.||10|
|Australian study requirement||Points|
|At least one degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution that meets the Australian study requirement||5|
|Specialist education qualification||Points|
|A Masters degree by research or a Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution that included at least two academic years in a relevant field.||5|
|Accredited in a community language||5|
|Study in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan area that meets the Australian study requirement||5|
|Partner skill qualifications||5|
|Professional year in Australia||5|
|Nomination by a state or territory government||5|
Entitlements of the SkillSelect – Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190)
The Skilled Nominated Visa will grant you permanent residency in Australia. This will entitle you and your eligible family members to:
- Travel in and out of Australia;
- Work and study in Australia;
- Access Government-subsidised healthcare (Medicare);
- Apply for Australian citizenship once you become eligible;
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence.
To find out more information about how This Is Australia can help you obtain your skilled migration visa, get in touch with us via our enquire now page or call our Queensland office on (07) 5592 0755.