Skilled Independent (New Zealand Stream) (Subclass 189) Visa
The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) (New Zealand) stream is for New Zealand Special Category (subclass 444) visa holders who have shown a commitment and contribution to Australia to apply for permanent residence.
New Zealand citizens who are granted this permanent visa will be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship after 12 months (in addition to holding a Special Category visa for a period of five consecutive years).
If you are not a New Zealand citizen you may be eligible to apply for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) (Points-tested) stream
Skilled Independent (New Zealand Stream) Visa (Subclass 189) Requirements
To be eligible for the Skilled Independent 189 (New Zealand) stream, at the time of application you must:
- hold a Special Category (subclass 444) visa
- have been usually resident in Australia for a continuous period of five years immediately prior to application, and have commenced that period of usual residence on or before 19 February 2016
- have a taxable income at or above an income threshold for each income year in the five years prior to lodging an application (unless claiming an exemption).
- meet mandatory health, character and national security checks
- lodge a visa application and pay the relevant visa application charges
You can include the following people in your visa application:
- your partner
- your child/step-child or your partner’s child/step-child.
These members of the family unit:
- must meet mandatory health, character and national security checks
- can hold any visa
The income threshold for the Independent Skilled 189 (New Zealand) stream is set at the same level as the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT). A summary of the Income threshold for the past five years can be found in the following table.
|Financial year||Income threshold for Skilled Independent 189 (New Zealand) Stream|
Entitlements of the Skilled Independent 189 (New Zealand) stream visa
This is a permanent visa. It lets you:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- travel to and from Australia for five years
- apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.
To find out more information about how This Is Australia can help you obtain your skilled migration visa, get in touch with us on our online contact form or call our Queensland office on (07) 5592 0755.