SkillSelect – Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
The Skilled Independent Visa is a permanent residence visa for individuals who have the qualifications and skills required to fill Australia’s skill shortages and are not sponsored by an employer, family member or nominated by a State or Territory Government.
Employers seeking to sponsor or hire foreign workers can visit our Australian Employer Services page.
SkillSelect – Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) Requirements:
To successfully apply for this skilled migration visa, you need to first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) online and then be invited to apply for the visa.
Once you have been invited to apply, you must be able to satisfy the basic visa requirements to qualify for a visa in the General Skilled Migration program.
- Have nominated a skilled occupation that is eligible for this subclass of visa (see eligible occupations);
- Have obtained a suitable skills assessment in the nominated skilled occupation;
- Be at least 18 years of age and younger than 45 years of age;
- Have at least competent English language ability;
- Meet the points test pass mark of at least 65 points;
- Meet certain health and character requirements.
Applicants are assessed against the point’s test in which points can be claimed in the following areas:
- English language ability
- Australian and overseas skilled work experience
- Australian & International qualifications
- Australian study requirements
- Specialist qualifications.
- Credentialed community language qualifications
- Regional Australian study
- Spouse skill qualifications
- Professional year in Australia
|Skilled employment in the last 10 years – outside Australia||Points|
|Less than 3 years||0|
|Skilled employment in the last 10 years – in Australia||Points|
|Less than 1 year||0|
|A Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution or a Doctorate from another educational institution that is of a
|A Bachelor degree from an Australian educational institution or a Bachelor qualification, from another educational institution that is of a
|A diploma or trade qualification completed in Australia||10|
|An award or qualification recognised by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation.||10|
|Australian study requirement||Points|
|At least one degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution that meets the Australian study requirement||5|
|Specialist education qualification||Points|
|A Masters degree by research or a Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution that included at least
two academic years in a relevant field.
|Accredited in a community language||5|
|Study in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan area that meets the Australian study requirement||5|
|Partner skill qualifications||5|
|Professional year in Australia||5|
Entitlements of the SkillSelect – Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
Successful applicants and holders of an Australian Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) are granted permanent residency in Australia. This will allow you and your eligible family members to:
- Travel in and out of Australia;
- Work and study in Australia;
- Access to Government-subsidised healthcare (Medicare);
- Apply for Australian citizenship once you become eligible
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence.
To find out more information about how This Is Australia can help you obtain your skilled migration visa, get in touch with us via our enquire now page or call our Queensland office on (07) 5592 0755.