SkillSelect – Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
The Skilled Independent Visa is a permanent residence visa for individuals who have the qualifications and skills required to fill Australia’s skill shortages and are not sponsored by an employer, family member or nominated by a State or Territory Government.
Employers seeking to sponsor or hire foreign workers can sign up for our Corporate Visa Services.
SkillSelect – Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) Requirements:
To successfully apply for this skilled migration visa, you need to first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) online and then be invited to apply for the visa.
Once you have been invited to apply, you must be able to satisfy the basic visa requirements to qualify for a visa in the General Skilled Migration program.
- Have nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupations list;
- Have obtained a suitable skills assessment in the nominated skilled occupation;
- Be at least 18 years of age and younger than 50 years of age;
- Have at least competent English language ability;
- Meet the points test pass mark of 60 points;
- Meet certain health and character requirements.
Applicants are assessed against the point’s test in which points can be claimed in the following areas:
- English language ability
- Australian and overseas skilled work experience
- Australian & International qualifications
- Australian study requirements
- Credentialed community language qualifications
- Regional Australian study
- Spouse skill qualifications
- Professional year in Australia
Entitlements of the SkillSelect – Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
Successful applicants and holders of an Australian Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) are granted permanent residency in Australia. This will allow you and your eligible family members to:
- Travel in and out of Australia;
- Work and study in Australia;
- Access to Government-subsidised healthcare (Medicare);
- Apply for Australian citizenship once you become eligible
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence.
To find out more information about how This Is Australia can help you obtain your skilled migration visa, get in touch with us on our online contact form or call our Queensland office on (07) 5592 0755.