SkillSelect – Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 489)
The Skilled Regional Visa (subclass 489) is a temporary visa for skilled individuals who want to work and live in regional Australia. It is an alternative for skilled workers who have the qualifications or skills but cannot meet the minimum requirements to obtain a Skilled Independent (subclass 189) or Nominated Visa (subclass 190).
If nominated by a state or territory government agency; approved applicants must live, work and study in a specified regional area in order to comply with the visa conditions.
If sponsored by an eligible relative, approved applicants must live, work and study in a designated area in order to comply with the visa conditions.
Employers looking to sponsor or hire foreign workers can sign up for our Corporate Visa Services.
Requirements of the SkillSelect – Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 489)
Applicants for this visa must first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) online in order to be invited to apply. Once you have been invited to apply, you must be able to satisfy the basic visa requirements to qualify for a visa in the General Skilled Migration program.
- Have nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupations list;
- Have obtained a suitable skills assessment in the nominated skilled occupation;
- Be at least 18 years of age and younger than 50 years of age;
- Have at least competent English language ability;
- Be nominated by a State or Territory Government agency or be sponsored by an eligible relative;
- Meet the points test pass mark of 60 points;
- Meet certain health and character requirements.
Applicants are assessed against the point’s test in which points can be claimed in the following areas:
- English language ability
- Australian and overseas skilled work experience
- Australian & International qualifications
- Australian study requirements
- Credentialed community language qualifications
- Regional Australian study
- Spouse skill qualifications
- Professional year in Australia
- State or Territory Nomination
- Sponsored by an eligible relative
If an eligible relative is sponsoring you for this visa, you must nominate an occupation from the skilled occupation list.
Your eligible relative sponsor will need to meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Live in a designated area of Australia;
- Be an Australian citizen; an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
The applicant (or their spouse) must be related to their eligible relative sponsor in the following way:
- Non-dependent child – including a natural, adoptive or step-child;
- Parent – including adoptive or step-parent;
- Brother or sister – including adoptive or step-siblings;
- Niece or nephew – including adoptive or step-niece or nephew; or
- Aunt or uncle – including adoptive or step-aunt or uncle;
- Grandparent or first cousin.
Entitlements of the SkillSelect – Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 489)
The Skilled Regional Nominated/Sponsored Visa (subclass 489) will grant you a temporary residency visa valid for 4 years, and you may be eligible to apply for a permanent residency visa if you have lived in a specified regional area of Australia for two years and have worked fulltime in a specified regional area for a minimum of twelve months.
You and your eligible family members will be entitled to:
- Reside in Australia for up to four years;
- Live, study and work in a specified regional area of Australia;
- Travel in and out of Australia as many times as you want during the duration of the visa;
- Apply for permanent residency through the Skilled-Regional (Residence) Visa Subclass 887.
This Is Australia specialises in skilled migration visas for individuals, temporary to permanent visas, spouse and family visas. To speak to our team of experienced migration agents, contact us via our online contact form or call our Queensland office on (07) 5592 0755.