SkillSelect – Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 489)
The Skilled Regional Visa (subclass 489) is a temporary visa for skilled individuals who want to work and live in regional Australia. It is an alternative for skilled workers who have the qualifications or skills but cannot meet the minimum requirements to obtain a Skilled Independent (subclass 189) or Nominated Visa (subclass 190).
If nominated by a state or territory government agency; approved applicants must live, work and study in a specified regional area in order to comply with the visa conditions.
If sponsored by an eligible relative, approved applicants must live, work and study in a designated area in order to comply with the visa conditions.
Employers seeking to sponsor or hire foreign workers can visit our Australian Employer Services page.
Requirements of the SkillSelect – Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 489)
There are three pathways to obtain this visa:
The Invited Pathway
the initial visa application whereby you are nominated by a state or territory or sponsored by an eligible family relative and invited to apply.
The Extended Pathway
for holders of certain temporary regional visas, to apply for an extension.
The Subsequent Entry Pathway
for member of the family unit of a person who holds a certain temporary regional visa to join them
The Invited Pathway
Applicants for this visa must first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) online in order to be invited to apply. Once you have been invited to apply, you must be able to satisfy the basic visa requirements to qualify for a visa in the General Skilled Migration program.
- Have nominated a skilled occupation that is eligible for this subclass of visa (see eligible occupations);
- For family sponsored – 489 (F)
- For state or territory nominated – 489 (ST)
- Have obtained a suitable skills assessment in the nominated skilled occupation;
- Be at least 18 years of age and younger than 45 years of age;
- Have at least competent English language ability;
- Be nominated by a State or Territory Government agency or be sponsored by an eligible relative;
- Meet the points test pass mark of at least 60 points;
- Meet certain health and character requirements.
Applicants are assessed against the point’s test in which points can be claimed in the following areas:
- English language ability
- Australian and overseas skilled work experience
- Australian & International qualifications
- Australian study requirements
- Specialist qualifications.
- Credentialed community language qualifications
- Regional Australian study
- Spouse skill qualifications
- Professional year in Australia
- State or Territory Nomination
- Sponsored by an eligible relative*
* Your eligible relative sponsor will need to meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Live in a designated area of Australia;
- Be an Australian citizen; an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
The applicant (or their spouse) must be related to their eligible relative sponsor in the following way:
- Non-dependent child – including a natural, adoptive or step-child;
- Parent – including adoptive or step-parent;
- Brother or sister – including adoptive or step-siblings;
- Niece or nephew – including adoptive or step-niece or nephew; or
- Aunt or uncle – including adoptive or step-aunt or uncle;
- Grandparent or first cousin.
|Skilled employment in the last 10 years – outside Australia||Points|
|Less than 3 years||0|
|Skilled employment in the last 10 years – in Australia||Points|
|Less than 1 year||0|
|A Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution or a Doctorate from another educational institution that is of a
|A Bachelor degree from an Australian educational institution or a Bachelor qualification, from another educational institution that is of a
|A diploma or trade qualification completed in Australia||10|
|An award or qualification recognised by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation.||10|
|Australian study requirement||Points|
|At least one degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution that meets the Australian study requirement||5|
|Specialist education qualification||Points|
|A Masters degree by research or a Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution that included at least
two academic years in a relevant field.
|Accredited in a community language||5|
|Study in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan area that meets the Australian study requirement||5|
|Partner skill qualifications||5|
|Professional year in Australia||5|
|Nomination or sponsorship||Points|
|Nomination by a state or territory government to live and work in a regional or low population-growth metropolitan area
Sponsorship by an eligible relative to live and work in a designated area of Australia.
The extended stay pathway is for applicants who currently hold one of the following provisional visas and complied with all visa conditions for at least two years before applying for this visa:
- Skilled—Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 475)
- Skilled—Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 487)
- Skilled—Independent Regional visa (subclass 495)
- Skilled—Designated Area Sponsored Provisional visa (subclass 496).
You must have never held more than one of these visas.
You can work in any occupation and for any employer.
If you were nominated by a state or territory for your current skilled visa, you must live and work in a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area in the same state or territory that nominated you for your current visa.
If you were sponsored by a relative for your current skilled visa, you can live and work in any designated area in any state or territory.
The subsequent entry pathway is for applicants who are a member of the family unit of someone who already holds a Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) or a subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496 visa.
Entitlements of the SkillSelect – Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 489)
The Skilled Regional Nominated/Sponsored Visa (subclass 489) will grant you a temporary residency visa valid for 4 years, and you may be eligible to apply for a permanent residency visa if you have lived in a specified regional area of Australia for two years and have worked fulltime in a specified regional area for a minimum of twelve months.
You and your eligible family members will be entitled to:
- Reside in Australia for up to four years;
- Live, study and work in a specified regional area of Australia;
- Travel in and out of Australia as many times as you want during the duration of the visa;
- Apply for permanent residency through the Skilled-Regional (Residence) Visa Subclass 887.
This Is Australia specialises in skilled migration visas for individuals, temporary to permanent visas, spouse and family visas. To speak to our team of experienced migration agents, contact us via our enquire now page or call our Queensland office on (07) 5592 0755.