Global Talent – Independent program (GTI)
A major new initiative in Australia’s immigration strategy is the Global Talent – Independent Program (GTI), which the Australian government launched in late 2019.
The program targets the world’s most highly skilled migrants and is aimed at positioning Australia at the forefront of major growth trends in the world economy, helping to grow high growth industries in Australia. This creates opportunities for Australians by transferring skills, promoting innovation, and creating job opportunities.
This is an especially exciting development because highly skilled migrants in selected industries will receive a fast-tracked process, with priority processing, to permanent residency in Australia.
To express interest for priority processing within the program, a candidate will be highly skilled in one of the seven target sectors and be able to command a salary that meets the high-income threshold or be a highly graded recent PhD or Masters Graduates.
There are two major requirements the candidate must meet:
1. The candidate must be highly skilled and internationally recognised in one of the following 7 target sectors:
- Space and Advanced Manufacturing
- Energy and Mining Technology
- Cyber Security
- Quantum Information, Advanced Digital, Data Science and ICT
2. Candidates should have the ability to attract a salary at or above the Fair Work high income threshold (FWHIT), which is currently AUD153,600, adjusted annually on 1 July.
In assessing whether a candidate is likely to have the ability to meet this salary threshold, the Department will consider:
- current salary evidenced through payslips or a contract, or
- future job offers outlining remuneration, or
- recent PhD or Masters graduates in the target sectors.
NOTE: The usual character, security and integrity checks will also apply to applicants.
How to Apply
- You must first lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) for consideration. The experts at This is Australia will engage their specialised knowledge to assist you with this;
- If you meet the program parameters you will be provided with a unique Global Talent identifier to lodge a Distinguished Talent visa application; and
- Lodge a Distinguished Talent visa application* through the Global Talent Independent program.
* In order to apply for a Distinguished Talent visa, you must be nominated by an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, an eligible New Zealand citizen, or an Australian organisation with a national reputation in the same field as you. The nominator needs to attest to your achievements and international standing and is not required to provide you with employment or assist you to become established in Australia.
While there are many migration agencies to choose from in Australia, the level of knowledge, effectiveness and personalisation is absolutely vital. This Is Australia’s migration agents and support team offer the very best service possible. Contact us via our online contact form or call our Queensland office on (07) 5592 0755.