Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) Visa Application
The 457 Visa is a temporary visa, valid for up to four years, and allows you to work for your employer on a full time basis and travel in and out of Australia without restriction within the visa validity period.
This visa requires an offer and acceptance of skilled employment in Australia. It is also essential that you must have all of the relevant qualifications and/or work experience to be able to fill that position.
As the holder of a 457 Visa, if you work for your sponsoring Australian Employer for 2 years or more, your employer may be able to nominate you for permanent residency through the ENS transitional arrangements that are currently in place (subject to changes in law and the sponsor complying with their obligations).
Employers seeking to sponsor or hire foreign workers can sign up for our Corporate Visa Services.
Generally, there are three stages involved in subclass 457 Visa applications:
- Business to make a sponsorship application. The sponsor will need to meet (among other things):
- The Australian (or Overseas) business must be approved to employ overseas workers to work in Australia.
- Demonstrate a dedication to training except for offshore sponsoring entities.
- Business to make a nomination application, the sponsor will need to meet (among other things):
- The sponsor must establish the need to employ a temporary overseas worker;
- Pay the temporary overseas worker a salary that is in accordance with at least the market salary and pay no less than the current Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold. The contract of employment must also be in accordance with Fair Work Australia;
- The position must provide equivalent terms and conditions of employment to the temporary overseas worker that would also apply to an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia who is, or may be, employed by the sponsor.
- Applicant to make a 457 Visa application – To be eligible for a 457 Visa, you need to meet (among other things):
- Have been nominated by an approved business in an eligible occupation;
- Have relevant qualifications and/or skills;
- Have sufficient English language ability, if required;
- Hold registration or license, if required;
- Hold adequate health insurance;
- Be of a good character and health;
- Any secondary applicants have to satisfy relevant secondary criterion.
Entitlements of the Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457)
Successful applicants and holders of a Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) are granted temporary residency in Australia. This will allow you and your eligible family members to:
- Work in Australia for up to four years;
- Bring your family to work or study in Australia;
- Travel in and out of Australia as often as you want.
For personalised advice and support in regards to your 457 Visa application or related migration matters, contact This Is Australia via our online form or call our Queensland office on (07) 5592 0755.