Hong Kong Passport Holders to get Pathways to Permanent Residency
Current and future students from Hong Kong will be eligible for a 5 year temporary graduate visa once they successfully complete eligible tertiary studies.
- Those former students already on a temporary graduate visa will be given an extension of up to 5 years, starting from 9 July 2020
- These graduates will also have a pathway to permanent residency after 5 years
- For those who study at a regional campus and choose to live and work in regional Australia, the pathway to permanent residency will be available after 3 years.
Current temporary skilled visa holders from Hong Kong will be eligible for an additional 5 years from 9 July 2020 in addition to the time they’ve already been in Australia. They will also be eligible for a pathway to permanent residency at the end of that 5 years.
- Future applicants from Hong Kong for temporary skilled visas will be eligible for a 5 year visa, if they:
- have qualifications listed on the occupational skills lists and meet Labour Market Testing requirements, or
- qualify through the Global Talent temporary visa scheme, which is for exceptional talent where the sponsoring employer pays above the Fair Work High Income Threshold of $153,600.
- These future temporary skilled visa holders will also be eligible for a 5 year visa with a pathway to permanent residency.
These changes will be implemented through updates to regulations and procedural instructions.