Here’s everything you need to know about Australian taxes


Here’s everything you need to know about Australian taxes

Are you living and working in Australia as an international student or working holidaymaker? If so, it’s a good idea to ensure you are up-to-date with your Australian tax obligations.

Our friends at are here to take you through the most frequently asked questions in relation to Australian taxes, to help you understand everything you need to know!


Do I need to lodge an Australian tax return?

Yes. Anyone who works in Australia is required to lodge an Australian tax return to declare their income.

It’s important that you complete your tax return so that your tax affairs are in order with the Australian Tax Office (ATO). This is especially important for those who wish to apply for another Australian visa in the future.

On a more positive note, you should keep it in mind that by lodging your tax return, you will be able to claim a tax refund if you are eligible for one! After all, who wouldn’t want some extra cash in their pockets?


When should I file my Australian tax return?

The Australian tax year runs from 1 July to 30 June every year and the deadline for filing your tax return is 31 October. So in essence, you should file your Australian tax return between 1 July and 31 October.


What do I need to file my tax return?

When lodging your tax return, you will need the following:

  • Your payslips – the final one you receive from your employers is the most important, so keep that safe!
  • Receipts for work-related expenses – if you had any work-related expenses for tools, equipment, a uniform or a work-related course, you can claim tax relief on those so it’s important to keep your receipts safe
  • Your Tax File Number (TFN)


How can I file my tax return?

You can file your tax return yourself with the ATO. However, if you opt to file your return yourself, you will need to do some research about how to fill in the tax paperwork correctly and which tax deductions you are entitled to etc.

So, it’s always easier to file your return with a tax agent like They are the global tax specialists and they have over 20 years experience helping people file their tax returns. Their team of tax experts will help you file your Australian tax return and claim your maximum tax refund. Simply fill out this short form to apply with today!


What is superannuation?

Superannuation is a system that allows employees in Australia to save a portion of their income for retirement. It is often more commonly referred to as ‘super’.

Your employer contributes 9.5% of your wages to a super pension on your behalf. All employers are required to do this for workers above the age of 18 and if they are earning more than $450 a month.

The good news for those on a student or WHV in Australia is that they can claim a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) once they have left Australia and their visa has expired. can help you to claim back your superannuation. What’s more? If you have already left Australia, but your visa has not yet expired, the team at can arrange to have your visa cancelled so that you can claim your superannuation back, straight away!

Claim your superannuation back with today!


If you have any questions about your Australian tax requirements, the Live Chat team at are online 24/7 to answer your questions, so feel free to get in touch with them to clear up any tax queries you might have!


Call +61 (0)7 5592 0755
Or book an appointment with one of our registered migration agents.

Protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy and Terms.

Recent posts