(RSMS) Visa – Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187)
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) Visa is a permanent visa that assists Australian businesses to sponsor skilled workers to live and work in regional areas of Australia.
This visa requires an offer and acceptance of skilled employment in regional areas of Australia. It is also essential that you must have all of the relevant qualifications and/or work experience to be able to fill that position.
Employers seeking to sponsor or hire foreign workers can sign up for our Corporate Visa Services.
The RSMS Visa has 3 streams:
- Temporary Residence Transition Stream – For holders of a 457 Visa who have worked for their employer for at least 2 years in the same nominated occupation, where the employer now wants to offer a permanent position.
- Direct Entry Stream – Generally for applicants that have not held a 457 Visa for the last two years, and have substantial skills and experience in the nominated position as well as competent English language ability.
- Agreement Stream – For applicants that will be sponsored by an employer through a labour or regional migration agreement.
Generally, there are two stages involved in subclass 187 Visa applications:
- Employer to make a nomination application. The employer will need to meet (among other things):
- Be actively operating in regional Australia and located outside major metropolitan centres;
- Seek certification for regional certifying body (RCB). The RCB must certify that the position is in high demand in the regional area and suitable for the business;
- Proof and offer of employment of at least 2 years;
- The position must provide equivalent terms and conditions of employment to the overseas worker that would also apply to an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia who is/ may be employed by the employer.
- Applicant to make a 187 Visa application – To be eligible for a 187 Visa, you need to meet (among other things):
- Have been nominated by an approved Australian employer in an eligible occupation;
- Be less than 50 years of age*;
- Have relevant qualification and/or skills*;
- Have sufficient English Language ability, as required (dependant of stream)*;
- Hold registration or license, if required;
- Be of a good character and health;
- Any secondary applicants have to satisfy relevant secondary criterion.
*Applicants may access exemptions for the age, skills and English language criteria depending on the occupation, salary and past work experience for their particular case.
Entitlements of the (RSMS) Visa – Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187)
Successful applicants and holders of an RSMS) Visa – Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187) are granted permanent residency in Australia. This will allow you and your eligible family members to:
- Stay in Australia indefinitely;
- Work and study in Australia;
- Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses;
- Apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible);
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).
We provide the support and advice you need to move forward with your RSMS Visa application in Australia. Contact us via our online form or speak to one of our professional migration agents located in our Queensland office on (07) 5592 0755.